Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My husband, the chef?

My husband and I have been together for 15 years.  Last week he mentioned that on Sunday he was going to do something really "special" for me.  The possibilities here were endless, and I'm not sure that his special was the same as my special.  Then, because he is notoriously horrible at keeping a surprise, he tells me he is making dinner on Sunday.  Making?  Dinner?  In 15 years do you know how many meals my husband has made?  One.  One meal.  And we both seemed to have blocked the memory of what exactly he made, but agree it was barely edible.  So dinner?  Yayyy! 
Dan and I love the show Hell's Kitchen and two dishes that seem to be featured quite often are beef wellington and risotto.  We've had risotto a handful of times, but have never made it ourselves and neither of us had ever had wellington.  Two very brave choices for my husband the chef.
I have to say, I sat in the kitchen with him and read the recipe and maybe showed him where the tablespoon was, perhaps I passed him a stick of butter...other that he made this one solo.  It was fan-freaking-tastic.  Seriously.  Amazing.
Here is a picture of my plate:
He also bought some massive twice baked potatoes that had to be baked in the oven.  While those were cooking he wrapped bacon around asparagus and cooked those too!  I didn't even eat my potato, the little ones scarfed that.  Everything was so good!  We tweaked both recipes a bit and...did I mention delicious???
The risotto came from a page out of our friends cookbook that they photocopied for us.
One-Pot-Clay-Cookbook-Jenni-Shapter  It was originally Risotto with Chicken, but he left the chicken out, substituted chicken stock with beef stock.  I could have had the risotto as a meal all on it's own!  I will surely be investigating more risotto recipes!
The Beef Wellington came from Food Network's Tyler Florence.  We modified just a bit here too.  Instead of one big 3 pound hunk of beef we had 4 individual portions, wrapped individually.  We also substitued capers for the green peppercorns in the sauce recipe, because that's what our friend had recccomended.  Here is the link to the wellington:
The Ultimate Beef Wellington

Will I allow Dan in the kitchen again?  Oh heck yes!  In fact I think Sunday night dinner is the perfect meal for him to cook every Sunday!  Thoughts?
Thanks for stopping by :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm very impressed--way to go Dan! It looks like a professional chef made that...I think he's just been holding out on you--the whole, "will you make me dinner, you're better at it" sure seems to work in our household...perhaps I shall hint that Josh take a gander at this post heehee.

    ReplyDelete