Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cinnamon Vanilla Waffles

The automated cancellation for school called this morning at 4:50am to inform us that, "Due to inclement weather, school would be closed for today."  The kiddos went to bed last night hoping for such a call.  When I came down the stairs to let the dogs out, imagine my surprise when I see a gray sky,and not one drop of snow on the ground.  It must be snowing somewhere...but it isn't here.  Plans for sledding have now gone on hold.  Don't get me wrong, I have somehow convinced myself that maybe we won't get snow this winter.  I hate the snow.  I hate the cold.  Someday I will live where it never snows.  Someday.  But, not today. 
Only one thing could possibly cheer up my snow-loving children...Homemade waffles!  Here's what you need:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 tablespoons white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups warm milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon

In a mixing bowl combine all wet ingredients and mix well.  Add all dry ingredients until well combined, and let rest.  While the waffle iron is heating the mixture will rise a bit and get a few bubbles in it.  If you're really lucky, you will have a cutie helper like I did:
She also conviced me that to get a really good picture of her, she needed to be sitting on the counter...
Add waffle mixture to well oiled iron.  They say not to use cooking spray on your waffle iron.  But I always do and it works great.  What can I say?  I'm a total rebel.  Another thought has occured to me lately as I make waffles:  Next Christmas when waffle makes go on sale for $5, I'm going to buy 4 more.  Then I can have a big production line of waffles going!  I wonder how many I could plug into the kitchen without blowing a fuse?  Thoughts?  (I told you I was a rebel.)
While the waffles were cooking, apparently a crime spree broke out in the living room.  Look who "flew" into the kitchen to save the day:
Never a dull moment around here.  Never Ever. Never.
Time to round up the gang, the waffles are ready!
Our kiddos love bananas on their waffles!  Yay fruit!
Little guy wasn't to happy I wanted to interupt waffle eating for a picture...but they gobbled up nearly the whole batch.  These were the few that didn't get eaten. 

Nice thing about these, I cut them in fourths and freeze them.  Then pop them in the toaster next time they want waffles!
Well, just after 10am and it's starting to snow.  I'm secretly hoping it goes out to sea, or to the north, or to the mountains, or anwhere but here.  Upside?  The kids will slide until they pass out.
Thanks for stopping by :)



No comments:

Post a Comment